How my reviews work:

My reviews try hard not to contain any major spoilers. There may be situations where I am forced to divulge some information for the sake of an informative review but I will always try my best to keep everything spoiler free but still relevant. The only part of the review that may contain spoilers (to which I have no control over) is the 'From the back of the book' section in which I write, word for word, the synopsis on the back of the manga.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gantz Vol. 2


Gantz has been an interesting ride so far, yet, in a way, I almost feel cheated by the second volume. Much of it is focused on the depictions of the gruesome outcome from the first volume with little room left for any kind of useful narrative. That is not to say that you don't learn anything knew about the situation that Kei Kurono and the gang have been put in, as the end of the volume does leave you on a nice little cliffhanger, albeit an expected one. But partly it just feels like the author was trying to extend some of the gore for simple 'shock value'.

The art however continues to inspire with its clean lines and a robust realism and depth not found in many manga today. Hiroya Oku, the artist uses 3D set pieces and objects to great effect pushing the realism that much further. The first volume expands a bit on some of the creation of these pieces which I think is a nice touch. I only wish there was more of it here.

There is also a 2 page scene in the middle of the book that kind of threw me for a loop as there didn't seem to be any clear explanation for it. I guess we are supposed to assume that it is the imagination of a dying man holding on to his last seconds, but I just think it could have been handled a bit differently, as it broke my immersion for the few minutes that I sat there flipping through the pages trying to figure out what had just occurred.

I find myself in a curious position of feeling cheated on one hand, but feeling fulfilled on the other. It is hard NOT to recommend this volume/series considering it took me little over 20 minutes to read, which I attribute more to my immersion than lack of narrative.

I suppose the real flaw here is that there wasn't MORE of it.

Rating: 8/10

From the back of the book:

Having seen the junior onion alien killed, the large onion alien slaughters the yakuza and others one by one. The area becomes a sea of blood. Kei Kurono happens upon the scene too late and flees in fear, but the large onion alien follows. It looks as though there's no escape. But then Kato uses his body as a shield and ends up getting sliced. Inspired by Kato's selfless bravery, Kurono turns to face the onion alien . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment