How my reviews work:

My reviews try hard not to contain any major spoilers. There may be situations where I am forced to divulge some information for the sake of an informative review but I will always try my best to keep everything spoiler free but still relevant. The only part of the review that may contain spoilers (to which I have no control over) is the 'From the back of the book' section in which I write, word for word, the synopsis on the back of the manga.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Currently Reading

Right now I am making my way through Chobits and Gears of War: Aspho Fields (real book).

I have to say, that Chobits, the anime, was, to me, a pretty fun and groovy little show, but the manga I am finding hard to take seriously, only because of the translation.

I mean they have references to so many English movies and TV Shows that it is becoming more of a distraction than anything else. For example when Hideki is taking home Chi for the first time he is in a pose very much like that of Gollum from the Lord of the Rings films, and so the translator added in the "My preciousss!" line.

Or how about the reference to the TV show 'I Dream of Jeannie'...

Even the overuse of swears and curses is getting annoying. Though truthfully I am not sure if that was part of the original series or not, but I find it hard to believe that the characters were shouting 'god damnit' and 'shit' all the time, especially for a CLAMP manga.

While I still love the premise, and the art, I am finding it hard to really enjoy the Chobits manga. Ah well.

On another note, the Love Hina Vol. 1 review should be hitting by weeks end, and I can tell you already that it will be good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment